Bebés, lactancia, cereales y Diabetes tipo 1

Hay dos articulos principales sobre el tema (en Inglés)

Norris JM, Barriga K, Klingensmith G, Hoffman M, Eisenbarth GS, Erlich HA, Rewers M. http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=197391
Timing of initial cereal exposure in infancy and risk of islet autoimmunity. JAMA. 2003 Oct 1; 290(13): 1713-20.

Ziegler AG, Schmid S, Huber D, Hummel M, Bonifacio E. Early infant feeding and risk of developing type 1 diabetes-associated autoantibodies. http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=197392 JAMA. 2003 Oct 1; 290(13): 1721-8.

- Ambos utilizan pacientes de riesgo
- Ambos encuentran una correlacion entre dar cereales (Hablan de arroz y trigo) antes de los 3 meses y Diabetes tipo 1
- Solo el primero encuentra relacion entre dar cereales por primera vez a partir de los 7 meses y la Diabetes, el segundo toma los 6 meses como base y no encuentra relación
- Ninguno de los dos habla de la lactancia

Sobre la lactancia..., hay que alargar lo posible la lactancia

The adjusted hazard ratios were higher for the 1 to 3 months and the 7 months or older groups whether fed rice or gluten-containing cereals. However if cereals were introduced while the child was still breastfeeding the risk of islet autoimmunity was reduced and this reduction was independent of the child’s age at initial cereal exposure.

Una explicación es que los niños necesitan introducir los alimentos paulatinamente...

“It may be that the immune system, even in older babies, requires a gradual introduction of foods, and that introducing too much of a particular food at one time presents a problem,” Norris says.

“It is clear that (these studies) do not present sufficient evidence to suggest that ‘infant cereal causes diabetes,’ and hopefully will not be misinterpreted as such by parents and the public,” they wrote.

Atkinson tells WebMD that even after two decades of research, the environmental trigger or triggers for type 1 diabetes remain unidentified.

“I think these studies do put cereal at or near the top of the list of potential triggers, but we still have to look for other agents,” he says. “I feel for the families of these children because every few years there is a new idea about what causes type 1 diabetes, and, so far, none of them has been proven [to be a cause].”
Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro
DM1 desde 1988
Mamá de 2 niños y a la espera del tercero
Bomba + Dexcom

Comentarios

• me guardo los artículos Tica.
    Muy interesantes.
    Todos los días sale el sol. Y sino sale ya me encargo yo de sacarlo.

She is on my mind

DM1 desde 2004
    ISCI Medtronic Minimed
Accede o Regístrate para comentar.